Joshua Port M.D.
Dr. Port is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who holds a certificate of added qualification in sports medicine. In 1994, he completed a fellowship in orthopedic sports medicine and shoulder surgery in California. Dr. Port is a member by peer invitation of the American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES), an honorable role as the only orthopedist in the Central Pennsylvania region with this distinction. Dr. Port is a member of several other sports medicine and shoulder societies. His practice is focused on sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow, and knee. Dr. Port has extensive experience and interest in shoulder replacement surgery, including revision of complex cases.
Dr. Port is the Head Team Physician for the Altoona Curve Baseball, a AA Pirates affiliate. Additionally, he serves as a consultant to several local colleges and high schools. Dr. Port enjoys outdoor activities with his family and is an avid cyclist when he's not at work. He resides in Altoona with his wife, Lee, and enjoys traveling to see their four children.
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, 1996-2026
- Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopedic Sports Medicine, 2009-2026
- Southern California Center for Sports Medicine | Sports Medicine Fellowship, 1994
- University of Pittsburgh | Orthopedic Surgery Residency, 1993
- University of Tokushima | Visiting Professor in Sports Medicine, 1992
- University of Pittsburgh | General Surgery Internship, 1989
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine | MD, 1988
- University of Pennsylvania | BA, 1984
- Benjamin Franklin Scholar, University of Pennsylvania 1980-1984
- Andrew Mallory Scholarship, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1984-88
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopedics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1998-Present
- Head Team Physician Altoona Curve, AA baseball affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Team Physician, St Francis University, Penn State Altoona Campus, Mount Aloysius College
- Team Physician, Bishop Guilfoyle High School, Hollidaysburg High School, Tyrone High School
Research and Publications
- Principal Investigator for a prospective, randomized, multi-center study comparing the safety and effectiveness of a prosthesis to standard of care in patients with a degenerative joint disease.
- Sub-Investigator for a Phase 2b, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the safety and efficacy of an investigational product for the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder.
- Sub-Investigator for a Phase 2a, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, adaptive study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a single intrathecal preoperative administration of an investigational medication at two dose levels compared to placebo in patients undergoing unilateral total knee arthroplasty.
- Port, J., Drass, M., Singla, S., Yang, A., Verity, N., Blevins, C., Stetson, W.: "Efficacy and Safety of SABER® -- Bupivacaine in Shoulder Surgery (CLIN005-006): Results and Lessons Learned." Abstract submission for publication for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Stetson, W., Port, J., Pope, R., Ekelund, A., Yang, A., Lu, S., Ellis, D., Page, R.: "Pooled Safety and Efficacy Analysis of SABER® -- Bupivacaine in Patients Undergoing Shoulder Surgery." Abstract submission for publication for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Port, J., Jackson, D.W., Lee, T.Q., Simon, T.M.: "Meniscal Repair Supplemented with Exogenous Fibrin Clot and Autogenous Cultured Marrow Cells in the Goat Model," American Journal of Sports Medicine, Volume 24.4: July 1996, Pages 547-555.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Pennsylvania Orthopedic Society, Past President
- American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine, Council of Delegates
- Arthroscopy Association of North American, Communication & Health Policy Committees
- Mid-Atlantic Shoulder & Elbow Society, Membership Chair for Pennsylvania
- Advanced Center for Surgery
- HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital
- Conemaugh Nason Medical Center
- Penn Highlands Tyrone
- UPMC Altoona
Dr. Port and his entire staff have been exceptional. They have helped me through numerous surgeries and are very concerned about my well-being and outcome as I continue care. I would highly recommend them.1 – 2
Dr. Port is an extraordinary person who is totally committed to the patient’s recovery.2 – 2