Strengthening athletes at every level.
University Orthopedics Center currently provides Athletic Training Services to four local schools in Center and Mifflin counties:
- State College Area School District Penns Valley Area School District Mifflin County School District St. Josephs Academy
Employing eight NATA-BOC and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania certified athletic trainers who provide sports medicine care on a daily basis to local athletic programs. In addition to providing this care the athletic training staff provides clinical support to orthopedic clinics.
UOC prides itself on providing a high quality well organized program to our clients. To date we have approved and published over twelve sports medicine protocols but not limited to:
- Sports Concussion Management
- Management of Cervical Spine Injury in Football
- Asthma Management
- Diabetes Management in Athletics
- Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management
- Seizure Management
- Communicable Skin Disease Management
- MRSA in the Athletic Population
- Blood Borne Pathogens Guidelines for the Athletic Training Program
- Management of Cold Related Illness
- Management of Heat Related Illness
- Lightening Safety in Athletics
In addition to having a well-researched and designed sports concussion protocol all “at risk athletics” at our affiliated schools receive a pre-season neuropsychological test (ImPact) to establish baseline function. In the case of concussion, these tests are used to assist in the safe return to play.
UOC athletic trainers are dedicated to being prepared to manage athletic injuries both minor and severe in nature. We work closely with local EMS in each community to ensure we are prepared for catastrophic injury. UOC athletic training staff, working in cooperation with school administrators and EMS providers, have developed and published emergency action plans for all practice and game venues to help in the effective management of emergent injury.”