Location: Altoona (Fairway Drive)
Specialty: Sports Medicine, Arthroscopic Shoulder & Knee Surgery, Shoulder Reconstruction SurgeryMake an appointment
Dr. Port is board-certified in Orthopedics and is fellowship-trained in Orthopedic Sports Medicine and Shoulder surgery. As an Associate Member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES) Society, Dr. Port is recognized as the only orthopedist in the Altoona and the Central PA area with this distinction. He additionally holds a Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine. His surgeries are focused on arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder and knee. He has practiced in this region for over 20 years and performed several surgical firsts here such as Arthroscopic ACL and PCL surgery, and Total Shoulder and Reversed Shoulder Replacement surgery.
Dr. Port is the Head Team Physician for Altoona Curve Baseball. He is a member of the American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the Pennsylvania Orthopedic Society, and the Mid-Atlantic Shoulder & Elbow Society. He is an Assistant Professor of Sports Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
Dr. Port resides in Altoona with his wife Leeanne. They have raised four children here. He enjoys outdoor activities with his family and is an avid cyclist.
- 1984 Bachelor of Arts in Economics with honors, University of Pennsylvania
- 1984-1988 Doctor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
- 1988-1989 Internship, General Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1989-1993 Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1992 Visiting Professor in Sports Medicine, University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
- 1992-1994 Fellowship, Sports Medicine, Knee and Shoulder Surgery at the Southern California Center for Sports Medicine, Long Beach, CA
- 1996, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery recertified 2007,2015
- 2009, Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine recertified 2015
- Benjamin Franklin Scholar, University of Pennsylvania 1980-84
- Andrew Mallory Scholarship, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1984-88
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopedics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1998-Present
- Head Team Physician Altoona Curve, AA baseball affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Team Physician, St Francis University, Penn State Altoona Campus, Mount Aloysius College
- Team Physician, Bishop Guilfoyle High School, Hollidaysburg High School, Tyrone High School
- Port, J., Drass, M., Singla, S., Yang, A., Verity, N., Blevins, C., Stetson, W.: “Efficacy and Safety of SABER® – Bupivacaine in Shoulder Surgery (CLIN005-006): Results and Lessons Learned.” Abstract submission for publication for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Stetson, W., Port, J., Pope, R., Ekelund, A., Yang, A., Lu, S., Ellis, D., Page, R.: “Pooled Safety and Efficacy Analysis of SABER® – Bupivacaine in Patients Undergoing Shoulder Surgery.” Abstract submission for publication for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Port, J., Jackson, D.W., Lee, T.Q., Simon, T.M.: “Meniscal Repair Supplemented with Exogenous Fibrin Clot and Autogenous Cultured Marrow Cells in the Goat Model,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, Volume 24.4: July 1996, Pages 547-555.
- Principal Investigator for a prospective, randomized, multi-center study comparing the safety and effectiveness of a prosthesis to standard of care in patients with a degenerative joint disease.
- Sub-Investigator for a Phase 2b, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the safety and efficacy of an investigational product for the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder.
- Sub-Investigator for a Phase 2a, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, adaptive study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a single intrathecal preoperative administration of an investigational medication at two dose levels compared to placebo in patients undergoing unilateral total knee arthroplasty.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Fellow
- Pennsylvania Orthopedic Society, Past President
- American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine, Council of Delegates
- Arthroscopy Association of North American, Communication & Health Policy Committees
- Mid-Atlantic Shoulder & Elbow Society, Membership Chair for Pennsylvania
- Advanced Center for Surgery
- HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nason Hospital
- Tyrone Hospital
- UPMC Altoona