Jonathan P. Van KleunenMD
Location: Altoona (Fairway Drive), DuBois, Ebensburg, Johnstown
Specialty: Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy of the Shoulder/Elbow/Hip/Knee, Joint Replacement Surgery, General OrthopedicsMake an appointment
Dr. Van Kleunen is an orthopedic and fellowship-trained sports medicine surgeon whose best tools are his hands. His passion for medicine pushes him to continue to train in many cutting-edge techniques in orthopedics. His completed fellowship in sports medicine that focused on complex arthroscopy of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee is just one example of how dedicated Dr. Van Kleunen is to providing patients the most up-to-date non-operative and surgical treatment options.
Dr. Van Kleunen is a member of the Associate Member Arthroscopy Association of North America, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. His goal is to diagnose your condition and restore your ability to enjoy life’s activities. He is dedicated to be available to you along your road to recovery to help guide you back to your best outcome.
Dr. Van Kleunen resides in Duncansville with his wife Amy and their two children. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family, sports, fitness, music, cooking and entertaining.
- 1998 Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia PA
- 1998-2002 Doctor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- 2004-2005 Internship, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2005-2010 Residency, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2010-2011, Fellow, Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, Jackson, MS
- 2013, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Basic Life Support (BLS), American Heart Association
- Instructor B, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 2005-2010
- Medical Director, Penn State Altoona Athletics
- Team Physician, Tyrone Golden Eagle Football Team
- Van Kleunen, JP, Tucker SA, Field LD, Savoie, III FH: Return to high level throwing after combination infraspinatus repair, SLAP repair, and release of glenohumeral internal rotation deficit. Mississippi Orthopaedic Society 2001 Annual Meeting, Biloxi, MS, May 2011.
- Van Kleunen JP, Tucker SA, Field LD, Saboie, III FH: Return to high level throwing after combination infraspinatus repair, SLAP repair, and release of glenohumeral internal rotation deficit. Arthroscopy Association of North America 2011 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2011.
- Van Kleunen, JP, Knox D. Garino, JP, Lee GC: Success rates of irrigation and debridement (I&D) and prosthesis retention for treatment of acute deep prosthetic infections. Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society 2009 Fall Scientific Meeting, Savannah, GA, October, 2009.
- Sub-Investigator for a Phase 2 double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, four parallel arm, dose finding study to evaluate the efficacy, safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics of single intra-articular injections of an investigational product in patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Sub-Investigator for a prospective, randomized, multi-center study comparing the safety and effectiveness of a prosthesis to standard of care in patients with a degenerative joint disease.
- Sub-Investigator for a Phase 2 double-blind, randomized, parallel group, dose-ranging study to assess the safety and efficacy of an investigational product for the treatment of pain in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Associate Member Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Advanced Center for Surgery
- HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nason Hospital
- Tyrone Hospital
- UPMC Altoona