Scott A. Eisenhuth
- (814) 231-2101
- Location: State College
- Specialty: Orthopedic Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery
Make an appointment
Dr. Eisenhuth is a board-certified Orthopedic Surgeon and is fellowship-trained in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery. His extensive training and clinical experience give him expertise in caring for a wide variety of conditions, including shoulder arthritis, rotator cuff tears, thumb arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and Dupuytren’s disease. He performs procedures ranging from minimally invasive to complex traumatic reconstructions of the entire upper extremity, from the hand to the shoulder.
He grew up in eastern Pennsylvania, attended Penn State for his undergraduate studies, and completed medical school and Orthopedic Surgery residency training at the University of Virginia. He then served 8 years on active duty as an Orthopedic Surgeon in the Air Force. His service included 6 years as the Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at Keesler Medical Center (Keesler AFB, MS), and 2 combat tours to Afghanistan (2011) and Iraq (2017), for which he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal and the Bronze Star Medal. His military service gave him unique expertise in advanced arthroscopic techniques and complex wartime trauma. His fellowship training in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery at Allegheny Health Network then gave him additional expertise in complex hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder conditions.
Dr. Eisenhuth is dedicated to helping you recover after an injury, alleviate pain from a degenerative condition, return to your lifestyle after a joint replacement, or regain your function after a minimally invasive procedure.
- 2018-2019: Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship, Allegheny Health Network, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2005-2010: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA
- 2001-2005: Doctor of Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
- 1997-2001: Bachelor of Science with Honors in Biology, Vertebrate Physiology option, with minors in Neuroscience and Military Studies, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, July 2012
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, October 2013
- Certified Instructor for the American College of Surgeons Bleeding Control Course, July 2017
Honors and Awards
- Awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for outstanding service to the United States Air Force at Keesler AFB, MS, July 2018
- Awarded the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service in a combat environment while leading a Mobile Field Surgical Team at Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, October 2017
- Selected as the Senior Medical Officer on a Mobile Field Surgical Team deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Inherent Resolve, April to October 2017
- Awarded Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal for meritorious service by the Commander of U.S. Naval Construction Group 2, Naval Construction Battalion Gulfport, July 2015
- Appointed Adjunct Faculty in the U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School for mentorship of Physician Assistant students in the Interservice Physician Assistant Program, November 2014 to July 2018
- Selected as Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery, Keesler Medical Center, June 2012 to July 2018
- Selected as sole Orthopaedic Surgeon on the Defense CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, Explosive) Response Force, July 2012 to July 2018
- Deployed to tertiary theater hospital in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, April to October 2011
- Selected as Administrative Chief Resident, UVA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, June 2009 to June 2010
- UVA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic In-Training Examination Award for highest class score, May 2006, May 2007, May 2008, June 2010
- Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship, August 2001 to May 2005
- ROTC Honor Graduate for the Eberly College of Science for the highest GPA of all ROTC cadets/midshipmen in the College, Penn State University, May 2001
- Schreyer Honors College, Penn State University, August 1997 to May 2001
- Academic Excellence Scholarship, Penn State University, August 1997 to May 2001
- Air Force ROTC scholarship, August 1997 to May 2001
- Dean’s List, Penn State University, each semester from Fall 1997 to Spring 2001
- Eisenhuth SA, Chhabra AB. Chapter 2: Elbow and Forearm, and Chapter 3: Wrist and Hand, in “Sports Medicine Conditions: Return to Play: Recognition, Treatment, Planning,” M.D. Miller, et al, Editors. 2014, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia.
- Eisenhuth SA, Chhabra AB. The Future of Treatment for Arthritis of the Hand, in “Arthritis and Arthroplasty: The Hand, Wrist and Elbow,” A.B. Chhabra and J. Isaacs, Editors. 2009, Elsevier: Philadelphia.
- Eisenhuth SA, Chhabra AB, Fox M, Anderson M, Gaskin C. Poster presentation of Assessment of Scaphoid Viability with MR Imaging, American Society for Surgery of the Hand Annual Meeting, Sep 2008, Chicago, IL.
- Eisenhuth SA, Saleh KJ, Cui Q, Clark CR, Brown TE. Patellofemoral instability after total knee arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research. 446:149-60, May 2006.
- McGrath B, McCann C, Eisenhuth S, Anton ES. Molecular mechanisms of interactions between radial glia and neurons. Progress in Brain Research. 132:197-202, 2001.
- Dulabon L, Olson EC, Taglienti MG, Eisenhuth S, McGrath B, Walsh CA, Kreidberg JA, Anton ES. Reelin binds α3β1 integrin and inhibits neuronal migration. Neuron. 27(1):33-44, Jul 2000.
- Eisenhuth S, Anton ES. Poster presentation of Reelin binds α3β1 integrin and inhibits neuronal migration, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Research Symposium, Fall 1998.
Lectures and Podium Presentations
- Identification of Ulnar Nerve Compression Points in Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. 5th Annual Western Pennsylvania Hand Society Meeting/Imbriglia Lectureship Series (Pittsburgh, PA) June 2019
- Keinbock’s and Preiser’s Disease. Allegheny Health Network Hand Surgery Conference (Pittsburgh, PA) June 2019
- Thumb CMC Joint Arthritis. Allegheny Health Network Hand Surgery Conference (Pittsburgh, PA) May 2019
- Neonatal Compartment Syndrome. Allegheny Health Network Orthopedic Surgery Grand Rounds Conference (Pittsburgh, PA) May 2019
- The Stiff Finger. Allegheny Health Network Hand Surgery Conference (Pittsburgh, PA) January 2019
- Orthopedic Care of the Combat Casualty: An Experience of Two Wars. Allegheny Health Network Orthopedic Surgery Grand Rounds Conference (Pittsburgh, PA) November 2018
- Carpal Instability. Allegheny Health Network Hand Surgery Conference (Pittsburgh, PA) October 2018
- Knee Injuries for the General Practitioner. 81st MFST Staff Training Lecture (Al Asad, Iraq) August 2017
- American College of Surgeons Bleeding Control Classes. Base-wide course instruction (Al Asad, Iraq) July 2017
- Extremity Injuries (Parts 1-2). Task Force Med Grand Rounds Teleconferences (Al Asad, Iraq) July 2017
- Spine Trauma. Iraqi Advise/Assist Medical Training Lecture (Al Baghdadi, Iraq) July 2017
- Spine Trauma. 81st MFST Staff Training Lecture (Al Asad, Iraq) June 2017
- Extremity Injuries (Parts 1-3). 81st MFST Staff Training Lectures (Al Asad, Iraq) May 2017
- Pelvis and Sacroiliac Joint Injuries. 81st MFST Staff Training Lecture (Al Asad, Iraq) April 2017
- Chemical Agent Threats in Theater. 81st MFST Staff Training Lecture (Al Asad, Iraq) April 2017
- Knee Injuries for the General Practitioner. Keesler Medical Center Battlefield Medicine Grand Rounds (Keesler AFB, MS) April 2013
- Orthopedic Combat Trauma in Afghanistan. Mississippi Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting (Oxford, MS) May 2012
- Orthopedic Combat Trauma in Afghanistan. University of Virginia Orthopedic Surgery Grand Rounds (Charlottesville, VA) March 2012