Kenneth L. Cherry MD
Dr. Cherry co-founded University Orthopedics Center in 1991. He is a board certified orthopedic surgeon and sees patients in need of orthopedic care at our State College and Altoona offices. His training and experience include unique competencies in the treatment of total joint replacement of the hip and knee.
After graduating from The Pennsylvania State University in 1982, Dr. Cherry earned his Medical Doctorate from Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University in 1985. He completed his surgery internship at Lehigh Valley Hospital Center in 1986 and his Orthopedic Residency at Thomas Jefferson University in June 1990.
Among his many accomplishments, Dr. Cherry won the Everett C. Gordon Award for Most Outstanding Orthopedic Resident in 1990 and was editor and chairman of The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal. He is a member of Pennsylvania Medical Society and a Fellow with the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery. Dr. Cherry also works as a consultant and designing surgeon for Stryker Corporation, a leader in joint replacement manufacturing.
Dr. Cherry lives with his wife, Dr. Melanie Cherry, and their children in Warriors Mark, PA.
Dr. Cherry sees patients in our State College and Altoona offices. If you would like to schedule an appointment please call 814-231-2101 or 814-949-4050.
- 1977-1981 Bachelor of Science, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA
- 1981-1985 Doctor of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- 1986 Internship: Allentown Affiliated Hospitals, Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, PA
- 1986-1990 Residency:-Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
Honors and Awards:
- 1990 Everett C. Gordon Award: Most Outstanding Orthopedic Resident
- 1989 Physik Award: Most Outstanding Research Paper
- Editor and Chairman, The Jefferson Orthopedic Journal
- 1985 Magna Cum Laude Graduate
- 1985 Orthopedic Surgery Award
- 1985 William F. Potter Award: Highest Clinical Average
- 1983 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 1980 Graduation with Distinction
- Golden Key Honor Society
Research and Scientific Papers:
- Meade, T.M., Cherry, K.L., Schneider, L.M., “An Anatomic Basis for Ligamentous Injuries in the Wrist,” Journal of Hand Surgery, 1990.
- Cherry, K.L., Emper, W., Good, R., “Accuracy of MRI in Disorders of the Knee,” The Jefferson Orthopedic Journal, 1989.
- Rose, D., Simkovich, A., Columbus, M., Cherry, K.L., “Acute Appendicitis, A Continuing Challenge,” American College of Surgical Clinical Congress, 1988.
- BUP3011: Sub investigator. Chronic moderate to severe OA pain of the hip and Knee. Trial start date: January 2004.
- BUP3015: Sub investigator. Low back pain study. Initiation: March 2004.
- BUP3012: Alternate Principal Investigator. OA pain of the hip or knee.
- Merck02-0028: Sub investigator. Post operative pain study for knee. Trial start date November 2003.
Abstracts and Presentations:
- Cherry, K.L., “Advances in Orthopedic Surgery,” Nittany Valley Rehabilitation Hospital Annual Staff Meeting, Pleasant Gap, PA., 1991.
- Cherry, K.L., Emper W., Good, R., “Accuracy of MRI in Disorders of the Knee,” Pennsylvania Orthopedic Society Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ., 1990
- Cherry, K.L., Emper W., Good, R., “Accuracy of MRI in Disorders of the Knee,” American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Resident Paper Presentations, Palm Beach, CA, 1989.
- Cherry, K.L., “An Analysis of Gait and Gait Disturbances,” Jefferson Orthopedic Grand Rounds, Philadelphia, PA., 1989.
- Meade, T.M., Cherry, K.L., Schneider, L.M., “An Anatomic Basis for Ligamentous Injuries in the Wrist,” American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Resident Paper Presentations, Boston, MA, 1988.
- Cherry, K.L., Rhodes, M., “Field Triage-Criteria for Immediate Transfer to the Operating Room in a Trauma System,” American Trauma Society, Denver, CO, 1986.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery –Fellow
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Mount Nittany Medical Center
- Altoona Regional Health System